The 4 Top Locations in the Country
It has the lowest point on Earth, a city completely carved and built on stone walls, and a desert that looks like you just landed on Mars. Oh, and don’t get me started with the hummus! However, don’t expect Jordan to be cheap. The Jordanian Dinar is stronger than the dollar, euro, and pound, making its currency among the ten strongest in the world so be prepared to spend a little extra cash!
1. Amman, Jordan
Amman, Jordan was the least tourist filled location that we visited. The Citadel was the best location to have a full view of the city of Amman and downtown Amman is a good place to haggle prices for cheap souvenirs and eat the local food. Stop by Hashem in Downtown Amman to experience authentic local food. Our other favorite places to eat were Sufra, the Wild Jordan Center, and Shams el Balad.
2. The Dead Sea, Jordan
After spending two days in the city, we drove one hour south to the Dead Sea, the lowest point on Earth. We booked one night at the Dead Sea Spa Resort which has a private beach on the Dead Sea. For us, one night was enough to spend the afternoon at the Dead Sea, enjoy a nice dinner, and good sleep at the resort.
3. Wadi Rum Desert, Jordan
Leaving the Dead Sea and continuing south, we headed to Wadi Rum. We parked our car at the Visitor’s Center, where our driver was waiting for us in a pick-up truck to take us to our luxury camp in the middle of the desert. WOW. The Aicha Luxury Camp was really something else. The bubble tents have a private bathroom with showers and access to warm water. The camp has a main tent where you can have have a delicious buffet breakfast/dinner included with your stay. They also have a bar area with non-alcoholic drinks and a bonfire at night.
4. Petra, Jordan
After a night in Wadi Rum we started heading back north and spent two nights in Petra, one of the seven wonders of the world. Be there at 6:00am for opening to enjoy the site without any crowds. Make sure to also visit Petra during Wednesday or Thursday night for a ceremony where the site is lit with hundreds of candles.
Additional Tips & Recommendations for Jordan
- Buy the Jordan Pass. It will give you access to the main tourist attractions for a cheaper price
- Conservative clothing is only needed in Amman. Shorts and tank tops are acceptable for the other tourist attractions.
- Our Route: Amman (2 nights) – Dead Sea (1 night) – Wadi Rum (1 night) – Petra (2 nights) – Amman. Six nights was enough for us, but we had no down time. I would recommend 7 to 8 nights in Jordan to see most of the country and visit the main spots
- Blockbuster movies to watch before your trip (all shot in Jordan): Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989), The Martian (2015), Aladdin (2019)
- Another location good for a road trip is the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. Click here to see how my road trip was there.