5 Top Locations for First Time Visitors
This small island started gaining popularity among westerners during the 1970’s, when surfers found out some of the best waves and remote beaches here. Today, Bali is one of the top 3 most visited destinations in Asia next to Agra, India and Bangkok, Thailand.
1. Sekumpul Waterfall in Ubud, Bali
The most incredible waterfall near the town of Ubud. The waterfall is approximately 80 meters long and you can also swim in the natural pool right below it. The hike down is easy but slippery. There are guides at the entrance that you can pay to guide you down to the waterfall. Bring sneakers, a bathing suit, and a waterproof bag for your belongings just in case it begins raining on your walk there.
2. Monkey Forest in Ubud, Bali
I also loved visiting the Monkey Forest in Ubud. The forest itself is really beautiful and the monkeys will most likely jump on you. A monkey jumped on my shoulder while walking through a small bridge and started searching inside my pockets and camera bag for some snacks. We were told that as long as you stay calm, don’t pet them, or make eye contact with them it will be just fine. They were truly adorable.
3. Kelingking Beach in Nusa Penida
Taka a day trip to Nusa Penida and visit Kelingking Beach. Arrive at this view point before 9:00am. The tourist groups start arriving at that time. Feel free to hike down to the beach, but I wouldn’t recommend it for unexperienced hikers. If you decide to do the hike, bring water with you, hiking back up will be a bit challenging.
4. Tegalalang Rice Fields near Ubud
While visiting the town of Ubud do a morning trip to the Tegalalang rice fields. It is easiests to already stay in the town of Ubud and do a morning 20 minute motorbike ride to the fields. Visit before 10:00am to avoid the tour groups. You can feel free to walk in between the fields and take as many pictures as you like.
5. Bingin Beach in Bali
For relaxing vibes, definitely stay in Bingin Beach. There a a few small guesthouses in front of the beach to stay in or enjoy a drink. The quiet beach has to be accessed through a small valley and a five minute walk down some rock stairs.
Additional Tips & Recommendations
- Rent a motorbike during your stay. This is the main form of transport there
- My favorite towns to stay in were Canggu and Ubud
- Avoid staying in Seminyak or Kuta, they are spring break location for very young and bad taste tourists. You will not experience the beauty of Bali here.
- Our trip was extended by a couple of days since Mount Agung (Bali’s active volcano) erupted when we were there. The volcano can be seen from most spots of the island. Thankfully it was only volcanic ash what came out of it and nobody in the nearby towns were hurt.
- For another tropical destination blog post you can read my post about Bocas del Toro.